I am getting in the Christmas spirit and started doing some baking and one of my favorite cookies around this time of year is Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. I’ve tried making red velvet, gingerbread and vanilla crinkle cookies but my all time favorite recipe is the chocolate version.
These cookies are so easy to make, and really you can check out a ton of different recipes but all follow a very similar recipe. Here is what you need.
Ingredients (yeilds about 20-24 cookies):
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used Ghirardelli)
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup confectioner’s sugar (for coating your cookies before baking)Directions
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups white sugar, 1 cup of cocoa, 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Once combined, add in 4 eggs and 2 tsp. vanilla extract.
2. In another bowl combine 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt.
3. Now with a spatula, spoon in the flour into the wet mix until fully combined.
4. Cover the cookie dough with something, which at this point will still feel quite soft) and put it in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours, though I like to leave it overnight to bake in the morning.
5. Heat your oven to 350 farenheit. Take out 3 baking pans and either grease them with butter OR I prefer to use parchment paper to line my pans.
6. Now spoon enough dough into your hand to make 1.5-2 inch balls. Roll the cool dough into balls and coat each one with a good layer of powdered sugar. It’s important to cover them well to get the nice contrast of the white powder to the dark chocolate cracks. You want to roll all the cookies now while the dough is cold otherwise it will get too gooey.
7. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes on your pan before you remove them. Enjoy!